February is upon us, but spring will be here soon and so will the outdoor gatherings.
February means ground hog shadows (he may have lied), Valentine’s Day and continued cold weather. But February also means that we are one month closer to spring’s warmer temperatures and outdoor gatherings with family and friends. Is your home ready to shine when they come by with the potato salad and desserts?
If not, now is the time to inspect your siding, sidewalks, decks and roof for signs of algae and grime, since those elements take away a home’s beauty. The techs at Extra Mile Powerwashing in Martinsburg are ready to come out and help…as soon as the weather says, “GO!“
And while you’re considering that call or email to schedule your pressure washing appointment, read this interesting trivia about the second month of the year. Fact: February was not always the second month of the year.
- February was originally the last month of the calendar year. It was eventually moved in 450 B.C. to its place as the second month. This was done so the calendar would reflect a standard lunar year.
- February is packed with holidays and history. February 2nd is Groundhog Day; the 12th is Abraham Lincoln‘s birthday; the 14th is St. Valentine’s Day; the 15th is Chinese New Year and Susan B. Anthony‘s birthday; the 18th is President’s Day.
and the 22nd is George Washington’s birthday.
- The month of February is the only month that can pass without a full moon, in common years. The last time we witnessed such a scenario was last year (2018).
- In common years, February starts on the same day of the week as March and November, and on leap years, it starts with the same day of the week as August.
- February is American Heart Month; Black History Month; Bird-Feeding Month; and Dental Health Month.
- Amethyst is the birthstone for those born in the month.
- The Violet and the Primrose are the flowers for February.
- February is named for the Latin word februum, which means purification.
And, the second month of the year is a day longer every four years. Do you know why? The answer is: A common year has 365 days and a leap year 366 days, with the extra day designated as February 29th. A leap year occurs every four years to help synchronize the calendar year with the solar year, or the length of time it takes the earth to complete its orbit around the sun, which is about 365¼ days.
To schedule a 2019 pressure washing appointment, call Extra Mile’s Martinsburg, WV office at 304-904-0500 or contact us here. We’re always happy to provide a free estimate.
Our service areas includes:
Bunker Hill WV 25413 | Inwood WV 25428 | Kearneysville WV 25429 | Kearneysville WV 25430 | Shepherdstown WV 25443 | Glengary WV 25420 | Charles Town WV 25414 | Ranson WV 25414 | Martinsburg WV 25401 | Martinsburg WV 25402 | Martinsburg WV 25403 | Martinsburg WV 25404 | Falling Waters WV 25419 | Harpers Ferry WV 25425 | Hedgesville WV 25427 | Winchester VA 22601 | Winchester VA 22602 | Winchester VA 22603 | Winchester VA 22604 | Cross Junction VA 22625 | Clear Brook VA 22624